Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Useless things I learnt

I was feeling a bit nostalgic today, so decided to write this article.The things that I learnt in school were useless.
Tell me how algebra was useful to me in my day to day life.I never go to a shop and tell the shopkeeper that I want to buy x pens. Neither does the shopkeeper tell me that x pens will cost me y rs.
In my opinion, maths in school should only be limited to the four basics: multiplication,division,addition and subtraction.That is it.
Simple equations, quadratic equations,equations of a higher degree.
Well, just one question, when did you ever use equations again after you passed your graduation?
Variables is another concept that I fail to understand. If something is a variable and its value keeps on changing constantly, how can you perform operations on it. And why would I assume a variable in real life?

History was fascinating but what was the practical use of remembering all the dates, and memorizing facts that happened years ago ? What happened happened. It is not going to change by teaching it in school . They teach us history and my history teacher was the one who told me not to cry over spilt milk .Talk about irony.

I was a curious kid and always had doubts.One doubt that is still not resolved is "How can you determine the exact boiling  point of any liquid? Because liquid is boiled in a container and some amount of heat is lost in heating the  container."

College unleashed a whole new load of useless facts. I learnt chemistry(endless nights remembering the chemical formulae and the reactions).
No one knew why we were being taught Chemistry nor did anyone bother to find out. Derivation and integration were interesting , but  to what use. Now, I just see funny symbols and abbreviations around variables.Same with limits.

Many subjects involved experiments in vacuum , but in my life all that comes to mind when I hear the word vacuum is the vacuum cleaner.

Engineering made my belief stronger that the more education you receive, the more you get to learn useless facts. Four years of rot learning about things that  I never knew existed and these were the same things that I wanted to forget once the exams were over.

No comments:

Post a Comment